Friday 30 August 2013

Bird is the Word - Travel/Explore Challenge

I have a sister that lives and works in the USA; in order to be allowed to work as a trauma nurse there she needed to travel to the USA in March of 1998 to sit an exam. She was already well travelled and knowing how much I have wanted to travel, she kindly offered me the opportunity of accompanying her. She was required to sit the exam in Los Angeles and wanted to visit a friend in Boston and spend a few days in New York but was happy for me to choose where we travelled after that. I chose to spend a few days in London, see Oxford and spend some time in Paris as I had spent three years learning French in high school and had fallen in love with the idea of seeing this great city. I also needed and wanted to be home for our 20th anniversary on the 8th of April which very much limited our time away. We went around the world on nine flights in twenty days!
I was fortunate to spend time in Disney Land, walk on the Boston Common and see the beautiful copper domes, travel through the snow covered country side to Amish Country in Pennsylvania and go to the top of the Empire State building and stand in the crown of the statue of Liberty. I spent two days wandering around London, touched the ancient walls of the Roman baths and stood in front of Buckingham Palace. We flew to Paris and arrived mid afternoon and after checking into our hotel wandered through the nearby streets to find some dinner. In the morning we walked through Montmartre to Sacre Coeur, climbed the steps to the top and turned to see the city laid out below. We  returned to our hotel to catch a three hour city tour bus which would give us a snapshot of the city as we only had sixteen hours here before our flight home. The driver took us to the Arc de Triomphe and although not allowed, quickly stopped so we could get out look down the Champs Elysee to the Eiffel Tower. We were standing on the balcony in a gentle rain on a very overcast day looking upon the landmark and tears came to my eyes; I could not believe my childhood dream had come true and I had finally arrived. It was a moment that I will never forget.
Thank you for looking and any comments you may leave, best wishes. 


http://birdisthewordchallenge.blogspot.com.au/

5 comments:

  1. what a great story and beautiful photo.
    so much detail in this page I cant stop staring at it. great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure you appreciated your dream coming true with your travels.. a wonderful photo, a special story and beautiful layout.. and thanks for joining in at BITW too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You used wonderful and elegant elements and background for this layout, it's wonderful!
    Thanks a lot for playing along with us at BITW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your making me remeber stuff I forgot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photo and you showcased it so well with all those beautiful embellishments. so glad you joined us at Bird is the Word! I hope to see it one day :)

    ReplyDelete