Saturday 28 July 2012

Let's Get Shabby Challenge #37 - Inspiration

This challenge is based on the photo of old paint brushes in a pot near a paint splattered canvas; as soon as I saw it I thought of the paper I have used and the photo taken many years ago of an old piece of jetty in Busselton WA. The paint brushes are old and well used; are they left to age alone, are they just waiting for the artist to return, will they inspire another artist to take them up; what stories they could tell, there is a beauty in their age and use. It is the same for the jetty; who built it and when, what was it used for, what left it in ruin? There is beauty in it's strength and it's weakness, in it's age and it's decay. Look at the rust in the nuts and bolts and the lines of weather and use in the timber; there are so many stories in there waiting to be told. Alongside the piece of old jetty are foot prints left only moments before; the old and the new together, both telling their own story. 
I love old things; this piece of jetty, an old farm fence, an old door or iron gate, older or ancient architecture. I love that these things were built hundreds or, in some cases a thousand years ago. I had the privilege and pleasure of going around the world in 20 days in 1998 with my youngest sister; 5 days of that trip were spent in the south of England. Oxford, a Cistercian Abbey ruin, Roman baths and Stone Henge just a few of the places I saw in those few days. To reach out and touch walls that were built so long ago, to see the technology in use and imagine the stories those walls could tell, if only they could speak.
Thank you for looking and for any comments you may leave, best wishes.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Susan!
    I love your rustic layering.. and your poetic explanation - I was almost transported there!

    I found your LO easy enough, but if you'd like to copy and paste your url addy belongint to your blog post in a comment on Lets Get Shabby it will be easier to find.

    Gorgeous work!!! THanks for playing along with shabby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful ! I love how you are inspired and I love what you have created...the rustic details, your colours and the design of your page are perfect. Thanks so much for playing along at Lets Get Shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks great susan. Love the photo. Thanks for playing along with us at shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow Susan, this is beautiful. And I just love how your took that inspiration image and really thought about it - it is a lovely photo and scrapped perfectly xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you interpreted this challenge, it's really wonderful !!

    Thanks so much for playing along with us at shabby.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I are the same when it comes to what inspires us, just love your background story and that fantastic photo! super how you went grungy and scruncy on this page! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a fabulous LO Susan...Love what you did with this challenge...Thankyou for playing along with us at Shabby :)

    ReplyDelete